Wednesday, July 2, 2008

4th of July Ideas!

I personally think holidays are always especially fun because of all the baking/cooking. I started to think about ways of taking stuff I normally bake and turning it into something creative for the 4th! Happy 4th and try some new recipes!

"Cookie Dough Truffles"

1/2 cup butter, softened

3/4 cup packed brown sugar

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk

1 tsp. vanilla extract

1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips

1/2 cup chopped walnuts

1-1/2 pounds semisweet chocolate candy coating, chopped

Directions:
In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add the flour, milk, and the vanilla; mix well. Stir in the chocolate chips and walnuts. Shape in to 1-in. balls; place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Loosely cover and refrigerate until firm, about 1-2 hours. In a microave safe bowl , melt candy coating, stirring often until smooth. Dip balls in coating; place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Refrigerate until firm, about 15 minutes. If desired remelt remaning candy coating and drizzle over candies. Store in the refrigerator.

**To make the star shaped truffles: when shaping the balls, make them much bigger. Big enough to use a cookie cutter on. Refrigerate or freeze them until hardened. Then dip in candy coating and let harden. Trim excess candy coating. The dough may get soft, simply stick them in the freezer for a couple minutes.**
If you don't make the star shaped truffles, this is what they look like

Who doesn't love cupcakes and these are so easy!

"4th Cupcakes"
1 white cake mix (I used Duncan Hines)
1 tsp. almond extract

Follow directions on box; adding 1 tsp. almond extract.

What you'll need for the decorating:

  • a #21 tip
  • wilton candy melts (I used red and white)
  • wilton star candy mold
  • frosting

Melt candy according to package directions. Fill candy mold with them and let harden. Frost cupcakes with the tip and stick hardened candys on top. Refrigerate until cold; they taste MUCH BETTER cold!

yeah, Lewis sees things upside-down

12 comments:

OhioMom said...

Those are so cute, Happy 4th to you and your family.

Barbara Bakes said...

Star shaped cookies sound like the perfect 4th of July treat - I think I'll borrow the idea! Thanks for sharing!

Lucy..♥ said...

Cup cakes, Candy, & Cookies.... OH MY!! I just love what you've done... Have a grand 4th of July !!! ;-)

Now if only I was nearby ;-)

Rebekah said...

These are so adorable! You've got me inspired to make a yummy dessert for tomorrow : )

Jessy and her dog Winnie said...

Oh my gosh, I love cookie dough! Your cupcakes are also really cute!

Jessica said...

Happy Fourth- I don't know which recipe to try first!

giz said...

You never stop amazing me with your creative ideas. Lewis needs a hug :)

priscilla joy said...

ohiomom - thank you! this was fun.

Barbara - yes, borrow the idea! hope they came out great!

Lucy - we did have a blast with all of it!!

Rebekah - thank you!! hope you dessert was yummy!

Jessy - yup, I love cookie dough too. I was really please with how those cupcakes came out!

Jessica - hope you like the treats, they are tried and true recipes!

Giz - thanks a lot. Lewis loves hugs.

Happy 4th everyone!

Neesie said...

I love the idea of putting them on the cupcakes. :-)

And, Lewis...you are too cute. really! (But I'm sure you hear that ALL the time ;-)

Jaime said...

those cupcakes look so professionally made! wow!

i also love the cookie dough truffles, i made them back around christmas last year...

Ruth Strong said...

What great 4th July treats!!!!! I'm sure they brought a smile to many a face!

Stephanie said...

Cookie dough truffles? Holy cow, I need to go make those, like, right now!