Friday, October 17, 2008

One Of The Best Fried Desserts Ever!

Churros are one of the best fried desserts ever. IMHO, Knotts Berry Farm or Green Burito have the best ones. Out here in Iowa, there are no places that sell Churros. So if you want one - you have to make 'em. Boy, these are yummy! My Dad and sister were saying "these are just as good as the ones at Knotts or Green Burito"!!

"Spanish Fritters aka Churros"
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup mlk
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 egg
1/4 tsp. grated lemon peel
Additional oil for frying
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
DIRECTIONS:
In a large saucepan, combine the water, milk, oil and salt. Bring to a boil over medum-high heat. Add flour all at once. Reduce heat to low; beat vigorously with a wooden spoon until mixture forms a stiff ball. Transfer to a large mixing bowl; let stand for 5 minutes.
Beat on medium-high speed for 1 minute or until the dough softens. Add egg and lemon peel; beat for 1-2 minutes. Set aside to cool. In a deep skillet, heat 1 in. of oil to 375 degrees. Insert a large star tip in a pastry bag and fill with dough. Holding the bag perpendicular to a baking sheet, pipe dough into 4-in. strips. Transfer strips to skillet and fry until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Combine the sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over fritters. Serve warm.
Yield: about 1 dozen.
***When I piped the dough onto the baking sheets - I did "2" 4-in. strips for one fritter. I also had trouble with my star tip falling off...need to work on that***
Yeah, I need help with football.

13 comments:

Emily said...

You are miss ambitious! These look great! Your family is seriously spoiled to have you make all of these incredible goodies!

Barbara Bakes said...

We love churros! Costco makes a great churro - they're huge for $1. I've never made them though they sound easy enough. Thanks!

Lucy..♥ said...

Love those churros!! I made them too recently... and ya just can't stop after the first bite!!!

Anonymous said...

Those look terrific! I love the cinnamon flavors!

OhioMom said...

Oh yes I like :) I will have a few to go with my tea.

priscilla joy said...

Emily - miss ambitious..he he. thanks for the compliments!

Barbara - i heart chrros! that is one of the things i miss in ca...those BIG churros!

Lucy - i know, i'd be as big as house after having churros!

Candy - me too...the cinmmaon flavors are great!

OhioMom - i don't know if they will be warm when they get to you...wait a minute there aren't any left!:)

giz said...

Now this looks like fun to do

Rebekah said...

yummy! You're so ambitious with your baking! I love hot chocolate with churros

Usha said...

I have never tasted these and always wondered about them...looks delicious...will give this a try soon...you have a wonderful space here :-)

Rosie said...

OH my goodness churros - this is sheer heaven to me on a plate - yum!!

Rosie x

Allie said...

I'v always wanted to make some of these, but never knew if they were tricky to make. You make everything looks so simple, I'm excited to try them now.

Oiyi said...

I really love Churros!

La Bella Cooks said...

I love these little things and I am so impressed you made them! Looks wonderful as usual, Priscilla.