Monday, March 2, 2009

German Chocolate Cheesecake And The Purse Winner.

Good Monday everyone! This weekend we had more spring like weather....it even rained pretty good last Friday. All our snow has disappeared and you can finally see grass again, even if it is brown. I am having trouble believing it is already March. It felt like February had just started. But no complaints, because March means warm weather. Leaving those frigid temps and too cold days behind is not a problem for me. The word summer sounds so inviting these days.
-------------------
A big congrats to the winner of the purse giveaway, picked by random.org:
Misty, who said: Target.... it has everything!

Please contact me Misty at: priscilla91@iowatelecom.net so I can get your purse out to you!
-----------------

I am a big fan of German Chocolate anything. I love the cake, but I also love German Chocolate Cookies and this delicious German Chocolate Cheesecake. It is very simple to make, starting out with a boxed cake mix. It does take some time to cook and chill so I like to make it either early morning or night time. The pecan-coconut topping is one of my favorite parts, the more the better. And, get this cheesecake as cold as possible because it makes all the calories you are eating worthwile.

German Chocolate Cheesecake
Ingredients:
1 package (18-1/4 ounces) German Chocolate cake mix
2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
1-1/2 cups sugar
4 eggs, lightly beaten
FROSTING:
1 cup sugar
1 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup butter, cubed
3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2-1/2 cups flaked coconut
1-1/2 cup chopped pecans
DIRECTIONS:
Prepare cake batter according to package directions; set aside. In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add eggs; beat on low speed just until combined. Pour half of the cake batter into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Gently pour cream cheese mixture over batter. Gently spoon remaining batter over top; spread to edge of pan. Bake at 325° for 70-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. For frosting, in a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, milk, butter and egg yolks Cook and stir over medium-low heat until thickened and a thermometer reads 160° or is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat. Stir in vanilla; fold in coconut and pecans. Cool until frosting reaches spreading consistency. Frost cooled cake. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 16 servings.

--------------------
You don't see many pictures of all 6 of us together on here. We don't take many pictures together. Because it is kinda hard to get all 6 of us together and looking at the camera or maybe because some boys I know raise their voices about "picture taking." But, because we are related (I'm still tring to figure if this is true) and our parents say to, we take pics together....even though 2 of your brothers faces aren't convincing anyone they are enjoying having their picture taken. I've come to love these kind of pictures more than when they are smiling because they make me laugh. Seriously, those 2 brothers of mine can brake out the funniest faces. People say we look alike, I can't see that. What do you guys think?

And I assure you, I really do have hair in that last picture. Really I do.


Have a super Monday and I'll see you with a yummy and amazingly healthy recipe next! I also want to say a big thank you to my readers who read my blog and for commenting on my giveaways or food blog posts....they mean a lot to me! You guys are the best!

36 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the pictures!! Congrats to Misty!!!!!! You won a great prize!!!!!!

Meg said...

Congrats to Misty!

That cheesecake is awesome! My grandpa was a big German chocolate cake fan and would have loved this one!

Anonymous said...

Hey Priscilla! I have a copycat recipe of the Cheesecake Factory's German Choc. Cheesecake.If interested, email me at krmez@hotmail.com I, too, am crazy for both cheesecake and german choc. I haven't made your cookies yet but will soon :)

Unknown said...

I luv German Chocolate cake...but cheesecake! That sounds even better. :)

Anonymous said...

wow, that looks good! and great picture of you family.

Sara said...

That cheesecake looks amazing! I love german chocolate :)

Jodi said...

Priscilla, you have a lovely family! I like that you post their pictures, even if it's to some of their objections! :)

Congrats to the winner of the purse!

The cake looks awesome and I love German chocolate anything too, but I'm a big fan of coconut as well! That frosting looks to die for!

Claire said...

Wow that cake looks absolutely amazing!!! Now you got me wanting some!

Jennifer said...

I was going to post a comment abut the cake but now I am preoccupied by the photos. They are wonderful and I love the mixture of posed and candid.

The Purple Carrot said...

Those are great pictures! : )

And that cake looks AMAZING!!!

Barbara Bakes said...

What a great idea combining german chocolate cake and cheesecake!

Julie said...

those sound divine!!

Pam said...

You are combining two of my favorite desserts - German chocolate cake and cheesecake. It looks amazing Priscilla.

I think you all look alike.

aubrie said...

Awesome pictures! I left you an award on my blog!

Andrea said...

It looks so yummy! I now want that cake for my birthday! I think I'll give the recipe to my mom (my hubby couldn't pull off making it).

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Congrats to the winner and this cheese cakeI have to make this decadent treat. Seriously Priscilla, this is beyond sinful, but in a good way =)

Maria said...

The cake looks so rich and divine!

sarah said...

That cake looks amazing! :)

teresa said...

The pictures are so cute and that CHEESECAKE! Mmmm, so yummy!

MRMD_GRL said...

Congrat's to the winner!

Priscilla, if you teach me to bake like this, i will share my craftyness with you. You put up such amazng recipe's and inspire me to figure out how to use those measuring cups that so far only measure cereal :)

Love the inspiration! Keep it coming!

Colleen said...

Wow making the German chocolate cake into a cheesecake AND a bar! Brilliant!

Spryte said...

You guys totally look alike!

I bet my husband would love this dessert!

Jessica said...

Yes, you guys do look alike! I love german chocolate so much....and cheesecake, too!

CookingCourtney said...

german chcoolate is such a winner.

Anonymous said...

All I can say is that they look REALLY GOOD!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

With a family that big, these treats must not last long!

Rebekah said...

man, this looks so delicious! I love German Choc Cake...I will have to make this for my dad's birthday this year...it's his favorite cake

J.L. Danger said...

looks great! I wonder how fast these things last in your house with all those kids?! Such nice family photos.

teresa said...

ps, I have something for you on my blog!

Melissa said...

This cheesecake looks fantastic! I'm drooling!

Katharina said...

Aw man... there goes my diet out the window. :-) And I was doing so well. hehe

But seriously, I love anything that's German Chocolate *and* cheesecake so to have them both in the same recipe looks soooo delicious!

Aggie said...

That cake is calling my name!!

Bridget said...

What beautiful family pictures!

The cheesecake/cake looks wonderful, too! :)

Taryn said...

My husband love German Chocolate cake- loves it. I am not so much a fan- but I have never seen anyone make it with cream cheese . . . might have to give that a try!

Tina Butler said...

Hey Priscilla I just finished the German Chocolate Cheesecake whew it is beautiful well on the outside. I havent cut into it yet we are taking it to a mothers day get together with friends. (no pressur righ!!) I hope it turned out as good as yours ~fingers crossed~ I will let you know.

va loans said...

That is an amazing cake, mine doesn't look as nice as yours but it tastes devine.