Monday, March 23, 2009

Soft, Chewy, & Gooey Breadsticks.

Good Monday everyone! Doesn't feel like a spring day today, we are having cloudy, cool, and windy weather. 2 of my brothers and I recently signed up for our church's softball league this summer. I've never played on one before, so I am hoping I am not too much of a embaresement! I am really excited about it too, I love playing sports. There are of course more guys than girls on the team, but one of my friends signed up as well so I am glad I'm not the only girl on the team. There should be some pictures soon from playing on here. For me, the most important thing is to remind myself this is all simply for fun. This isn't the big leauges!


These are some of the best breadsticks I have ever had. They are soft, chewy, and best warm straight from the oven. I like taking them out of the oven when still slightly white on top, because they are so much better that way. Some of my favorite breadsticks I like to eat at restaurants would be Pizza Hut's or Olive Gardens. I also enjoy a breadstick and a salad together for a meal, it isn't much but appetizing. The pictures you see of the salad will be showing up in a post soon. It does look similar to the Texas Salsa recipe I posted a while back but it is much different. We all adore this salad. And everyone we introduce it to loves it as well.

Soft And Gooey Breadsticks
Ingredients:
2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
1/2 cup Sugar, divided
2 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 egg
1 teaspoon salt
4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
DIRECTIONS:
In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 tablespoon sugar in 1 cup warm water. Add the oil, egg, salt, 2 cups flour, and remaining sugar and water. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes. Punch the dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; divide into 24 pieces. Shape each piece into a 6-in. rope. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 25 minutes. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until slightly brown. Yield: 3 dozen breadsticks.


___________________

Spring means baseball season. Baseball season means my brothers spending countles hours playing it every evening. Trying to imitate the professionals. And it can be amsuing at times, because well, my brothers aren't professionals. Although they do amazingly well for 3 boys who live in the middle of nowhere. I'd have to say the oldest is the best at baseball. Andrew has always been the best out of all of us at sports. But that means that us younger kids have always tried to be better than Andrew, because in our family if you could beat Andrew in anything....that meant you were pretty good. In our family.


I'll see you shortly with a tasty dessert, have a great Monday!

23 comments:

The Purple Carrot said...

Those soft, chewy, and gooey breadsticks sound WONDERFUL!! : )

I agree, it doesn't feel like Spring here today either! Aaaand last but not least, I'm sure you'll have a blast playing softball! : )

Cara said...

You are going to have so much fun playing softball! It's a great relaxing sport:)

Barbara Bakes said...

I agree Olive Garden breadsticks are great! I don't think to make them at home. I'll have to give them a try - thanks!

Rebekah said...

these look like the perfect breadsticks! I will have to try this recipe soon

Jessica said...

Bread sticks are always an afterthought for me...Not with this recipe, though. They'll be the first thing I make for a meal.

Anonymous said...

If these are like Olive Gardens' sticks, we gotta have 'em.

MRMD_GRL said...

MMMMMMMMMMMM breadsticks.... so super tasty! Thanks for the new recipe

Unknown said...

Oooh! Those looks so good. I'll have to try these the next time we make soup. :)

Sara said...

You can never go wrong with homemade bread, especially breadsticks! These look delicious.

Erica said...

Good luck with the softball! I'm sure you will be great! These breadsticks look awesome! Melt in your mouth good! I am book marking this for when clean eating month is OVER!

Tina Butler said...

Priscilla those look so professional and yummy.

Sharon said...

We are very much carb freaks in our house, so this is definitely getting bookmarked. They look so soft and yummy!

Michelle C said...

I've NEVER made anything with "active dry yeast" and am actually nervous about it ... I really LOOOOOOVE Olive Garden bread sticks though.

I'm brand new to your blog by the way ... Your recipes look fantastic!

Cristine said...

YUM! Your breadsticks look fantastic! I am a sucker for good bread! :)

Anonymous said...

Those breadsticks do look good. I'm like Michelle C., not experienced with yeast. And I can't wait for the salad recipe--it looks wonderful. Great job on all these yummy recipes!

Anonymous said...

Ooh. Those breadsticks look AWESOME. I'll have to talk my sister into making some of those...she likes doing yeast recipes more than I do.

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

These are a definite must! We love the breadsticks at Olive Garden. I can't wait to surprise my family with these!

Unknown said...

I left something on my blog for you!

Cate said...

Those breadsticks look so puffy and delicious ... yum!

Romney Family said...

those look so yummy and yes you may add my blog to your blog. I love to cook and love for people to look at my blog so thank you.
Jessie~from foodbringsfamiliestogether.blogspot.com (I commented from my family blog just so you aren't confused as to who I am)

anna said...

YUM!!!!

Maria said...

The breadsticks look perfect!

Spryte said...

The breadsticks look great! I can't wait for the salad!